Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Starting the Star Chart

I am doing fine, but know that this spring is going to be a time of transition for me. I would like to be totally zen about transition - I truly believe the constant is change and that we are happiest when we embrace that - but my nature is to grapple with that truth. In January, my goal to ski every day and the "star chart" with other goals I filled in kept me engaged, despite the darkness and much to be done.

I realized yesterday, on Kiska-Dog's first day back with me, that she is an organizing force in my life. I get through all the duties and days without her, but having her waiting when I arrived home from work inspired me to put on my tennis shoes (with ice grippers layered over them) and go for a run at the dog park. It got me out in the afternoon sunshine, and we both enjoyed it.
This was probably my first formal exercise in February, though I have taken a couple of dance classes and skiied once, while visiting Kiska at my parents' house. That realization reminded me that January's star chart was good for me - I made a point of earning my stars and it scaffolded a hard, dark month. That effort was time-bounded though, between arriving home from Seattle and leaving for the conference in Las Vegas, and when the month ended with travel and Kiska leaving town, those brand new baby habits went into hibernation.

Although I still have lots of good habits, focusing on adding a few more could enrich and scaffold this time of transition. I still have to make the chart, but here are the goals I plan to embrace through, at least, Summer Solstice:

Everyday, I will -
- Make something (words, soups, and knitted fabric all count)
- Live in my body (run, dance, get a massage)
- Go outside (15 minutes).
- Connect (have a real conversation, compliment a stranger, write a letter)
- Vitamins. Floss.
- No Sugar Added. (there are some exceptions here for dark chocolate in small quantities, since sanity matters, but overall I mean it).
- Eat veg (x3). Veg = fruits and vegetables, and the number will go up as I gain ground there.

The new star chart will officially begin tomorrow - Thursday February 25th - and will run through Summer Solstice. Solstice, June 21, falls on a Monday this year. From 2/25 to 6/21 is 117 days. It's a funny number, but I plan to begin as I mean to go on. As soon as I eat the last brownie in the house.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Do you literally do a sticker chart? I might have to try this...

    ReplyDelete